Should we or shouldn’t we? My husband and I went back and forth on deciding whether or not to homeschool our kiddos. We made the decision to give it a try! Our little man is four years old, so now is the perfect time to go for it. He has been in a preschool program for a couple of years, and we’ve also worked on a lot of things with him at home…letter names and sounds, numbers, colors, shapes, patterns, writing his name, cutting, tracing, and even a little bit of adding.
The idea of homeschooling seems like a big undertaking. It is. I definitely need a plan of action and a schedule. Here are some helpful tips that I came up with:
- Books, books, books! – Use your own, swap with friends, or hit up your local library!
- You can gather a ton of ideas from Pinterest and other blogs.
- Get connected with other friends who homeschool or teach.
- Don’t know how to make a certain craft? Stumped on crafts or themes to follow? Google is your best friend! 🙂
- Hopefully, the weather will be cooling off soon. Hit up some yard sales in your area. You’ll be surprised at some of the gems you will find at great prices.
- Also hit up your local thrift store. The one in our area that I like to frequent has kids’ paperback books for 50 cents and hardback books for $1. You can’t beat that!
- Evaluate your kiddo on letter recognition, letter sounds, number recognition, rote counting, etc.
- Having this info helps you with the areas where your child needs focus.
- Establish an area that is learning focused.
- Make learning areas fun!
- Reduce the amount of distractions during learning time.
- Create a reading area that is quiet and comfortable.
- When possible (and necessary) include younger siblings with crafts and reading.
- Make activities as interactive and hands-on as possible.
- Have games and activities that can be done independently as well as those that require instruction.
So, there ya go! I am SO excited about getting started with homeschooling my little man! The teacher in me has a ton of ideas rolling around in my head. 🙂 I’ll share any ideas, tips, and hiccups I have along the way.
What are your ideas? Got a plan of action for this school year? I’d love to hear them!